PAKISTANI CHICKEN TIKKA RECIPE
1 whole skinless chicken, cut in 4 pieces, 2 legs and 2 breasts with wings
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoon vinegar
- 1½ tablespoon Kashmiri chili powder or paprika for color
- ½ tablespoon cumin powder, roasted and grounded
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder, roasted and grounded
- 1 teaspoon or ½ tablespoon red chilli flakes, skip for less spicy
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- ¾ tablespoon ginger paste
- ¾ tablespoon garlic paste
- ¾ tablespoon green chilli paste, use less or skip for less spicy
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon raw green papaya paste, simply process a piece of skinned raw green papaya into a smooth paste.
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon zarda color or red color, optional, see notes
- Oil, to grease pan and cook
Soak chicken in vinegar and salt solution for 20 minutes, then wash and pat dry. Insert deep cuts across the grain.
Mix all the ingredients of marination in a bowl and apply all over the chicken. Marinate overnight in the fridge or keep for 4-6 hours outside in a cool place.
Cook tikka in a wide pot on medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes. Cover the pot while cooking. Then burn excess water on high heat.
Pro Tip: Do not overcook tikka, the meat shouldn’t come off the bones.
Heat a charcoal red hot smoke chicken for 10 minutes.
Now heat the smoked tikka on the direct flame until crispy and serve.
Pro Tip: You can place the grill on the flame and grill 2-3 tikka together. Or alternatively, you can grill tikka will little oil on a grill pan until slightly crispy. Grill on low heat.
Chicken Tikka in an oven:
- Marinate chicken as described above.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Line a tray with foil and place a rack on the tray.
- Remove chicken from the marinade, shaking off excess (reserve Marinade), and place on the rack.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then slather Marinade generously on both sides.
- Bake for a further 10 minutes brush with Marinade again.
- Bake for another 10 minutes and then brush with oil.
- Increase heat to 220C/450F. Bake for a further 10 minutes until you get some nice charred spots on the chicken.
Chicken Tikka on the coal barbecue:
- After overnight marination of chicken.
- Heat coals until red hot.
- Remove chicken from the marinade, shaking off excess.
- Insert flat metal skewers on the chicken leg and breast and place skewer above the coal on the barbecue pit. Or directly place TIkka on the barbecue grill. Brush the tikka with little oil as it cooks on both sides. Cook both sides for 5 minutes each until tikka is cooked and gets a few charred marks.
- Sliced onions, washed and drained
- Green chutney
- Imli chutney
- Garlic yogurt
- Paratha or chapati
RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT